Patty Melts with Apple Slaw
Calories ; (; ;
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/patty-melts-with-apple-slaw.html?oc=linkback
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dijonnaise (or dijon mustard mixed with mayonnaise)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 12 ounces extra-lean ground beef sirloin
- 4 thin slices light Swiss cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 8 slices rye or marble rye bread
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Make the slaw: Combine the cabbage, apple, carrot and scallions in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons dijonnaise and the vinegar; season with salt and pepper and toss. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and wipe out the skillet.
Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil. Form the beef into four 1/4-inch-thick oval patties; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Broil until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Top with the sauteed onion and cheese and continue broiling until the cheese is just melted, about 30 seconds.
Spread 4 slices bread with the remaining 2 tablespoons dijonnaise; top with the patties and remaining bread. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the sandwiches and cook until golden, 1 1/2 minutes per side, reducing the heat as needed. Serve with the apple slaw.