Rum-and-Pepper Painted Fish with Habanero-Mango Mojo
- 2 1/2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 12 whole cloves
- 3/4 cup white rum
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 (6-ounce) grouper or other firm white fish fillets
- Habanero-Mango Mojo (recipe follows)
- Black Bean-and-Fruit Salsa (recipe follows)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- HABANERO-MANGO MOJO
- 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled ripe mango
- 1/4 cup Chardonnay or other dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon habanero pepper sauce (1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- BLACK BEAN-AND-FRUIT SALSA
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled ripe mango
- 1 cup diced peeled papaya
- 1/2 cup cubed pineapple
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon habanero pepper sauce (1/2 to 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add peppercorns and cloves, and cook 1 minute. Place spice mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Place pepper mixture in a saucepan. Add rum and next 4 ingredients (rum through lemon juice); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup. Strain pepper "paint" through a fine sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 450º.
Wrap handle of skillet with foil; heat oil in pan until hot. Brush pepper paint over one side of fish. Place fish, paint side down, in skillet; sauté 3 minutes or until dark brown. Turn fish over; place skillet in oven.
Bake 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve fillets with Habanero-Mango Mojo and Black Bean-and-Fruit Salsa; garnish fillets with lime wedges, if desired.
Serving Size: 5 ounces fish, 1/4 cup mojo, and 1 cup salsa
To Make Habanero-Mango Mojo
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
Yield: 1 cup
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
To Make Black Bean-and-Fruit Salsa
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently to coat.
Yield: 4 cups
Serving Size: 1 cup salsa