Bread And Tomato Soup
- 1/2 cup slivered fresh basil
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 1/2 cups canned vegetable broth
- 1 pound plum tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 3 slices country white bread, 3" by 5" by 3/4" thk cubed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Divide basil and garlic between 2 large soup bowls. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes and bread and bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until bread is falling apart, about 8 minutes.
Transfer soup to processor. Using on/off turns, blend to coarse puree. Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls over basil and garlic. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with cheese.
This recipe yields 2 servings; can be doubled.