KAF mini cinnamon swirl breads
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 large egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water (egg wash)
- 1/4 cup Cinnamon-Sugar Plus or cinnamon-sugar
- 1 cup cinnamon mini baking chips
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
1) To make the dough: Mix and knead the dough ingredients together — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — until smooth.
2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let rise until nearly doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3) Grease the 8 wells of a mini-loaf pan and place the pan on a baking sheet lined with parchment (to catch any drips).
4) On a lightly greased work surface, pat the dough into an 8" x 32" rectangle.
5) Brush the dough with egg wash (you'll have some left over; set it aside), and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar and chips.
6) Starting with a long side, roll the dough into a log.
7) Cut the log into eight 4"-long segments, and transfer them seam side-down to the prepared wells.
8) Allow the breads to rise until they've barely crested over the rims of the pans, 40 to 60 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
9) Brush the breads with the remaining egg wash.
10) Bake the breads for 18 to 20 minutes, until golden; the interior of the breads should read 190°F on an instant-read thermometer.
11) Remove the pan from the oven. Cool the breads in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a rack to cool completely.
Yield 8 mini loaves.