Louwtjie & Christiaan Barnard's Curried Beef
- 4 pounds stew beef, cut into small to medium pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 large sweet yellow onions, chopped into medium dice
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups white long-grain, basmati or brown rice
- Condiments: shredded coconut, chopped peanuts, mango chutney, sliced bananas, diced tomatoes, chopped green pepper (Other condiment ideas: golden raisins, chopped red or yellow peppers, diced green onions, chopped apples)
Adapted from jsonline.com
Combine beef, oil, water and onions in a large oven-safe pot; bring to a simmer and cook over medium heat half an hour. Add seasonings and mix well. Place in 325-degree oven for 2 hours, stirring every half-hour.
During final hour, cook rice according to package directions.
Serve curry with rice and an array of condiments.