Grilled Vegetable and Bread Salad
Makes a great main dish. I cooked my vegetables and bread in a grill bowl on my gas grill instead of skewers and it worked fine.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice plus 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- 1 small red onion, sliced into 3/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 red pepper stemmed, seeded, and quartered
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 3 ounces French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- Vegetable oil for cooking grate
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
1. Whisk 2 Tbsp of the olive oil, basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, mustard, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper together in a large bowl, and set aside.
2. Thread the onion rounds, from side to side, onto a metal skewer. Brush the skewered onion rounds, bell pepper,zucchini, and bread slices with the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
3A. For a Charcoal Grill: Open the bottom grill vents completely. Light a large chimney starter half full with charcoal briquettes (50 briquettes; 3 quarts). When the coals are hot, spread them in an even layer over the grill. Set the cooking grate in place, cover, and heat the grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
3B. For a Gas Grill: Turn all the burners to high, cover, and heat the grill until hot,about 15 minutes. Turn all the burners to medium. Adjust the burners as needed to maintain a medium fire.
4. Clean and oil the cooking grate. Place the vegetables on one side of the grill and cook (covered if using gas) until spottily charred on both sides, 10 to 15 minutes, flipping them half-way through. Transfer the vegetables to a cutting board and remove the onion from the skewer.
5. While the vegetables cook, place the bread slices on the grill, opposite the vegetables, and cook (covered if using gas) until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Transfer the bread to the cutting board with the vegetables.
6. Cut the vegetables into 1-inch pieces and the bread into 1-inch cubes. Add the vegetable and bread to the bowl with the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Divide the salad between two plates, sprinkle evenly with the cheese, and serve.