- DIPPING SAUCES:
- 2 pounds prime-quality well-marbled beef cut paper-thin, with each slice measuring 8" by 3" (freezing the meat for 20 mi
- 12 shiitake mushrooms trimmed, and wiped clean, halved, if large
- 6 long onions or 8 to 10 scallions cut diagonally
- into 1 1/2" lengths
- 2 tofu cakes cut 1 1/2" squares
- 6 Napa or Chinese cabbage leaves shredded
- 1 cup grated giant white radish
- 1/2 cup minced scallion
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- Soy-Ginger Sauce (see below)
- SOY-GINGER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
Arrange the meat slices and vegetables separately on large round platters.
Fill the casserole or fondue pot about 2/3 full with chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Each eater picks up meat and vegetables and "swishes" (shabu shabu) back and forth in the pot until cooked to desired doneness.
Dip meat and vegetables in dipping sauces.
When foam rises to the top, skim it off with a ladle or spoon. The broth can be eaten as a soup after meat has been eaten.
For the Soy-Ginger Sauce: Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl. (Makes 1 cup)
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.