Monterey Jack And Jalapeno Turnovers
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoons finely-minced cilantro
- 16 slices fresh home-made type white bread crusts removed
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds toasted
- 1 tablespoon minced pickled jalapeños
- 1 scallion minced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter with minced cilantro. Roll out bread between two pieces of waxed paper until very thin. Brush bread lightly on both sides with melted butter mixture.
In a bowl combine cheese, cumin, peppers, and scallions. Place some of the filling, about 1 heaping teaspoon, in the center of each slice. Fold making a triangle shape, trim edges.
Press the edges with your fingers to tightly seal. Brush tops and bottoms with melted cilantro butter and crimp edges with fork. (At this point, the turnovers can be placed in a zippered plastic freezer bag and frozen for future use.)
Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes (20 to 25 minutes if taken out of the freezer) or until golden brown. Serve warm with salsa dipping sauce.
This recipe yields 16 turnovers.