Garlicky Skillet Strata - CC
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices hearty white sandwich bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 4 scallions, white and green parts separated and sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Whisk eggs, half-and-half, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in bowl until well combined, about 30 seconds; set aside.
2. Heat oil in 10-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add bread and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Push bread to sides of pan and melt butter in center. Add bacon, scallion whites, and garlic to butter and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds; stir into bread to combine. Add egg mixture and cook, scraping bottom of skillet with rubber spatula, until large curds form, about 2 minutes. Continue to cook, without stirring, for 30 seconds. Sprinkle Gruyère over top.
3. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until surface of strata is slightly puffy and cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove skillet from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Using spatula, loosen strata from skillet and slide onto platter or cutting board. Sprinkle with scallion greens. Cut into wedges and serve.