Parmesan Bread Pudding with Baby Broccoli, Mushrooms, and Pancetta
Parmesan Bread Pudding with Baby Broccoli, Mushrooms, and Pancetta is an easy dinner if you prepare everything in advance and just put in the oven when you get home. Serve with a side salad.
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium shallot, small dice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped, to taste
- 6 ounces mushrooms (I used a combination of oyster and shiitake mushrooms.)
- 8 ounces baby broccoli, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (Broccoli rabe, or rapini, or regular broccoli are good substitutes.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 6 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 pound challah bread, cut into 1-inch pieces, about 8 cups
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- 4 to 6 thin slices pancetta
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from daisysworld.net
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook the pancetta in a large skillet over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Drain most of the drippings, except for 1 tablespoon, or if needed, add additional olive oil to equal 1 tablespoon. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add diced shallots. red pepper flakes, and thyme and cook for another minute. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper. Deglaze pan with white wine. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, combine the eggs, milk, remaining salt and black pepper, ground mustard, and paprika in a large bowl and whisk to blend. Add mushroom/broccoli mixture, bread, and 1/2 cup Parmesan to the custard and toss to combine. Transfer to a 1 1/2-quart baking dish or 6 individual heatproof ramekins or mini cast iron pans. Top with sliced pancetta and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan.
Bake bread pudding until puffed, toasted and browned in spots, and set in the center, 40-55 minutes depending on the size of the baking dish.
Serve warm with a side salad.
You'll also love
- Chorizo Sausage Egg Bake Casserole 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Paleo SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH PALEO... 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Lemony Roasted Salmon with... 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Portabello Mushrooms with Creamy... 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Mold 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Chicken Bratwurst and Onions with... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)