Farro Salad With Corn And Tomatoes
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 1 small sweet onion chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves minced, and mashed to a paste with
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 scallions chopped fine
- 1 1/2 cups cooked corn (cut from about 2 large ears)
- 1 pint vine-ripened cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Combine water and farro in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and simmer until farro is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain well.
While grains are cooking, in a large bowl stir together onion, garlic paste, vinegar, and oil.
Drain grains well and add to onion mixture. Toss mixture well and cool. Add scallions, corn, tomatoes, chives, and parsley, toss well, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Salad may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring salad to room temperature before serving.
This recipe yields 4 servings.