Grilled Corn and Bean Salad (Valerie Bertinelli)
- 4 fresh or frozen ears of corn, husks removed
- One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno or serrano chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped (wear plastic gloves when handling)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 large or 4 small limes)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, pushed through a press
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Hot sauce, preferably Crystal Hot Sauce
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
For the salad: Preheat a grill on high for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium high and grill the corn, with the cover closed and turning occasionally, until some kernels are black, about 12 minutes. Remove and allow the corn to cool slightly.
Using a sharp knife, cut off the kernels into a very large, deep serving bowl. (Hold the narrow end of the cob, point the other end into the bowl and cut downward, so that flying kernels are trapped by the bowl itself.) Add the black beans, chickpeas, cilantro, green and red bell peppers, onions, chile peppers, salt and pepper to taste to the bowl and toss.
For the dressing: Whisk together the lime juice, sugar, salt, vinegar, cumin, chili powder, garlic and olive oil in a small bowl. Season to taste with hot sauce.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to thoroughly coat. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, toss again and serve. The salad can be made a day in advance, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Adapted from "One Dish at a Time: Delicious Recipes from My Italian-American Childhood and Beyond" by Valerie Bertinelli (c) Rodale 2012. Provided courtesy of Valerie Bertinelli. All rights reserved.
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/valerie-bertinelli/grilled-corn-and-bean-salad.html?oc=linkback