Shitake, Beef, and Barley Soup
- 1 pound flankin
- black pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces fresh shitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, chopped parsnips
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups hot water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
Adapted from encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com
1. Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add beef, cook 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a slow cooker.
2. Add remaining 2 tsp. olive oil to same skillet. Add mushrooms,leeks,parsnips,celery and garlic;saute 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a slow cooker. Stir in hot water,tomatoes with juice,barley, salt, and pepper. Cover; cook on high for about 4.5 hours.
3. Remove meat from slow cooker and shred, return to soup. Season with salt and pepper before serving.