Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin with Bacon Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets (8 to 10 cups)
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 c. warm milk
- kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3/4 c. grated Gruyere, divided
- 3/4 c. grated white Cheddar, divided
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Adapted from delish.com
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9-x-13" baking dish.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil cauliflower for 5 minutes, then drain.
In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add flour, and stir constantly until lightly browned, 4 minutes.
Stir in warm milk, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, 8 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 cup Gruyere and 1/2 cup cheddar. Season with salt and pepper and nutmeg.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool, then crumble and add to a small bowl with panko bread crumbs, Parmesan, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange cauliflower in buttered baking dish and pour over cheese sauce. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Gruyere and ¼ cup cheddar and top with bread crumb mixture. Drizzle with olive oil.
Bake until cheese is bubbling, 20 minutes. Increase heat to broil and broil until bread crumbs are deeply golden,1 minute. Let cool slightly, then serve.
You'll also love
- Old Bay Shrimp Cakes 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Upside Down Cheesecake Apple Pie 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Shredded Beef Tacos Carne... 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Baked Sweet Potatoes 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Pumpkin-Pecan Tassies 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon or... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice - Low... 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White... 4.4/5 (37 Votes)