Spicy Stir-Fried Broccoli Rabe
- 3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons naturally brewed soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly-chopped basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely-grated lemon zest
- 1 pound firm tofu rinsed, patted dry, and sliced 1/2" thick
- BROCOLI RABE:
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe tough stalks trimmed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 plump garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- Freshly-milled black pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges for garnish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a bowl, combine the lemon juice, soy sauce, basil, oil, vinegar, and lemon zest. Lay the tofu slices in a baking dish that can hold them in a single snug layer. Pour the marinade over the tofu. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tofu is nearly dry and well browned.
To make the broccoli rabe, chop the tender stalks and greens into 2-inch pieces and soak them in a large basin of cold water.
In a heavy, wide saute pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic and saute gently for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden. Add the red pepper flakes and tofu and saute for 1 minute. Scoop the greens from the water and add them to the pan. Raise the heat and turn the greens over in the oil with a pair of tongs. When the greens begin to simmer, reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the greens are tender.
Season with salt and pepper and serve drizzled with some of the liquor and garnished with the lemon wedges and garlic cloves.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.