Vegan Mac & Cheese
Enjoy Mac & Cheese when you are eating vegan with this tasty recipe made with a vegetable sauce, cashews and coconut milk - creamy and delicious!
- 10 ounces dried macaroni, about 2 2/3 cups
- 1 cup peeled & diced yellow potatoes, or russets
- 1/4 cup peeled & diced carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup water, preferably use liquid from pot of boiled veggies
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 pinch paprika
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cook macaroni al dente, according to package instructions (usually requires boiling for 6-8 minutes in salted water), drain, and set aside.
Bring several cups of water to boil in a small pot. Place chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion in the boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies.
When veggies are soft enough to blend, use a slotted spoon to remove them from cooking water, and place them in your blender. Add ¾ cup of that cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients.
Blend until smooth.
Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a dish of your choice, taste for salt, and serve immediately.
Or, place macaroni mixture in a baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, or until crumbs are turning golden brown.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (672 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (448 Votes)