Salt And Pepper-Fried Squid
- 1 pound baby or medium squid (tentacles optional), skinned, cleaned
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 limes - (to 2) cut crosswise
- into 8 wedges
Slice clean, dry squid into 1/8-inch rings. If using medium-size squid, cut open squid and make a light crisscross pattern on the outside with a paring knife, then cut into approximately 1-inch pieces.
Heat oil in wok over medium heat to about 375 degrees. Mix salt, pepper, and cornstarch in a plastic bag. Add the squid, seal the bag, and shake it to coat each piece evenly. Put a few squid pieces at a time in the palm of your hand and shake off the excess cornstarch mix.
Working in batches, deep-fry the squid until the rings turn golden and crisp, about 1 minute, or if using 1-inch square pieces, until they curl up and crisp, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towels and serve with lime wedges on the side.
This recipe yields ?? servings.