Beer and Cheddar Soup with Kielbasa Sausage
- 2 tablespoonsplus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 tablespoons(3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cupall-purpose flour
- 3 cupslow-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounceslager (such as Brooklyn Brewery)
- 1/2 cupheavy cream
- 8 ouncesmild yellow cheddar, grated
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 poundlink kielbasa sausage, cut into 6-8 pieces
- 1 apple, cored, sliced
• Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add butter and stir until melted. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to turn golden brown, about 4 minutes.
• Whisk in broth, beer, and cream. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat to low and whisk in cheese a handful at a time, whisking to combine after each addition. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes to ensure cheese is melted. Working in batches if needed, transfer soup to a blender and purée until smooth (alternatively, use an immersion blender in the pot). Season with salt and pepper.
Using a paring knife, score sausage, spacing cuts 1/2 inch apart. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausages, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp in spots, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
• Toss apple in remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Cook in same grill pan until softened and slightly charred on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
• Divide soup among bowls; top with sausage and apple.