Soupa Augolemono (Egg and Lemon Soup)
- 6 cups chicken stock, fresh or canned
- 1/3 cup uncooked long or medium grain rice
- 4 eggs
- 3 tb fresh lemon juice
- 2 tb fresh mint, finely cut, or 1 tb dried mint
1) In a 3-4 quart saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil over high heat. Pour in the rice, reduce the heat to low and simmer partially uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until the grains are just tender but still slightly resistant to the bite. Reduce the heat to low.
2) Beat the eggs with a whisk or a rotary beater until frothy. Beat in the lemon juice and stir in about 1/4 cup of the simmering chicken broth. Then slowly pour the mixture into the broth, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 3-5 minutes, or until the soup thickens enough to coat the spoon lightly. Do not let the soup come to a boil or the eggs will curdle. Add salt to taste and serve at once.