- 2 cups cooked fresh salmon bones and skin
- removed (reserve 3 to 4 tbspns poaching liquid
- or if unavailable use 1-lb can salmon with liquid)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh lemon thyme (if available - can be tarragon or dill)
- 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 3/4 cups milk plus
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Turn salmon and liquid into mixing bowl. Add seasonings, onion and bread crumbs and mix thoroughly.
In separate bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Then combine with salmon mixture. Stir in lemon juice.
Place in buttered glass loaf pan. Bake until delicately brown, approximately 40 to 45 minutes.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Eggs can be reduced to only 1, if milk is increased to 1 cup.
We use a 9-inch loaf pan, so the slices are not as high. Each guest's plate gets two slices of salmon loaf, which are topped with 4 slices of hard boiled eggs and an herb (same herb as in loaf) Bernaise Sauce.