Fresh Pea Soup With Mint
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 cups shelled fresh or frozen peas
- 5 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- Toasted French bread for accompaniment, if desired
In a saucepan cook onion in butter, covered, over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until tender. Add peas and broth and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, or until peas are tender. Stir in mint.
In a blender purée soup until smooth and pour through a coarse sieve back into pan. Heat soup over moderate heat until hot and remove pan from heat. Add white pepper and salt, to taste, and stir in all but 4 teaspoons buttermilk.
Divide soup between 4 bowls and gently spoon remaining buttermilk onto each serving.
This recipe yields 4 servings, about 6 cups.