- 1 tablespoon caul fat or any other type of fat
- 1 pound bottom round or sirloin hand chopped or coarsely ground
- 5 scallions - (to 6) thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 2 tablespoons dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Spanish sweet paprika
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 roasted peppers, diced
- Empanada dough discs (available frozen at specialty markets)
- 10 green olives pitted
- 3 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- Oil for frying
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon caul fat. Add the chopped meat and white scallion slices, and saute until slightly browned. Add raisins and spices and cook until meat is cooked through. Stir in green scallion slices and roasted peppers. Let mixture cool.
Fill empanada discs with meat, add 1 olive and 1 slice of egg. Seal the empanada.
Preheat oil in a deep sauce pot fitted with a frying thermometer to 375 degrees. Deep fry the empanadas in the oil for about 3 minutes. Remove from oil with slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
This recipe yields 5 servings.