Dutch Oven Mountain Man Breakfast
Family favorite when we go camping. Be sure to share, because it makes a lot!
- 1 pound bacon; cut into pieces
- 1/2 pound mild pork sausage (such as Jimmy Dean®), cooked and crumbled
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (2 pound) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped jalapenos to taste
Adapted from savingdessert.com
Cook bacon until crispy with coals on bottom only. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and peppers an cook until tender.
Add hash brown potatoes until evenly mixed. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the hash browns are hot and the peppers are tender, about 15 minutes.
Spread crumbled sausage over top and heat through.
Using a spatula, press down a bit on the contents.
Pour the beaten eggs evenly over the top; add the shredded cheese.
Cover the Dutch oven, and place 6 to 9 coals underneath, and 12 to 18 on top. Bake 15 minutes and check to see if eggs are set. Continue cooking until eggs are set.