Punta Mita Rich Well-Fried Beans
- 1/2 pound pinto or pink beans cooked
- 4 cups beans broth
- 2 tablespoons finely-grated strong salty cheese
- Toasted tortillas or totopos for serving
- 1 Spanish chorizo
- 6 strips bacon
- 3 tablespoons lard or bacon fat
- 20 small pitted green olives chopped
- 2 chiles jalapeños en escabeche seeded, chopped
Skin and crumble the chorizo, and chop the bacon. Cook over a slow flame, covered, until most of the fat has rendered out.
Add the lard to the pan and let it melt. Add the beans and broth and cook them over a high flame, mashing them. If they start to dry out and stick to the pan, add a little more fat.
When the beans have mashed to a coarse puree and are almost dry, add about two-thirds of the olives and chilies. Roll the beans, then turn onto the serving dish and garnish with the remaining olives and chilies. Sprinkle the roll with the cheese and serve with the toasted tortillas or totopos.
This recipe yields ?? servings.