Waldorf Salad With Roast Beef Sandwich
- WALDORF SALAD:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise made with olive or soybean oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice (abt 1/2 lemon)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 8 pecan halves broken into pieces
- 4 celery stalks sliced (1 cup)
- 2 small red apples cored, and cut
- into 1/2" cubes - (abt 1 1/2 cups)
- Several romaine lettuce leaves washed, dried
- OPEN-FACE ROAST BEEF SANDWICH:
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound sliced lean roast beef
- 2 small tomatoes sliced
- FRESS BERRY YOGURT:
- 2 cups light fruit-flavored yogurt
Combine the mayonnaise and lemon juice in a medium-size bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Toast the pecans in a toaster oven for 1 minute, or until brown to bring out their flavor. Be careful, they burn easily.
Toss the celery, apple and pecans in the mayonnaise mixture. Place lettuce leaves on 4 plates and spoon the salad onto the leaves to serve.
For the Open-Faced Roast Beef Sandwich: Spread the bread with mustard. Divide the roast beef between each slice of bread. Top with the tomato slices. Serve any extra tomato slices on the side.
for the Fresh Berry Yogurt: Divide yogurt between 4 dessert bowls.
This recipe yields 4 servings.