Spinach & Rice Casserole
This creamy, flavorful rice casserole is loaded with spinach, mushrooms and yellow rice. The perfect side dish.
Recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
- 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (10oz) baby bella mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 package frozen cut-leaf spinach (16 oz) thawed and drained
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, plus extra for the topping
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooled (I used Goya yellow rice, Spanish style, 14oz box)*see note
- 1 tablespoon Lawrys seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
Adapted from thecuttingedgeofordinary.blogspot.com
Oven to 350.
Grease a large casserole dish.
In a large pan over medium high heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil and butter until translucent. Add in the mushrooms and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Add the spinach and garlic and cook for 2 – 3 minutes longer. Add the nutmeg and cook just 1 minute longer. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl stir together the cheese, rice and seasonings. Whisk together the soup and the chicken broth and stir into rice mixture. Add in the spinach/mushroom mixture and gently stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into prepared casserole dish and top with extra shredded cheese. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly.
*If you get the Goya 14 oz rice, you will have about a cup left over.