Fried Calamari With Aïoli
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 24 Ritz crackers - (abt 3 oz)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound small squid cleaned
- 5 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Lemon wedges for accompaniment
To make aïoli: In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, parsley, and garlic until combined well and season with salt and pepper. Aïoli may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
In a food processor pulse crackers with flour, salt, and sugar until finely ground and transfer to a bowl.
Cut flaps from squid sacs if attached. Cut sacs into 1/4-inch-thick rings. Pat squid dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
In a 3-quart heavy kettle heat 2-inches oil over moderate heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 375 degrees. While oil is heating, toss squid in flour mixture to coat, shaking off excess. Fry squid in small batches, turning, until golden and crisp, about 1 minute, transferring with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Make sure oil returns to 375 degrees between batches. Serve squid with aïoli and lemon wedges.
This recipe yields 4 appetizer servings.