- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeño peppers
- 1 package ranch style dressing mix
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 recipe Cornbread
- 2 cans pinto beans - (16 oz ea) drained
- 3 cups shredded cheddar
- 3 large tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped chile peppers
- 1 1/2 cups bacon pieces
- 1 can corn - (15 oz) drained
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with vegetable oil and heat in oven.
In a medium bowl combine buttermilk and eggs, and stir. Add cornmeal, backing soda, baking powder, salt, and jalapeño peppers, while stirring briskly. Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
For the Dressing: Combine ranch dressing mix, sour cream and mayonnaise and set aside.
Place 1/2 of the crumbled cornbread in the bottom of a large serving bowl. Top with 1 can of pinto beans. Follow with 1/2 of the cheese, tomatoes, bell peppers, green onions, chile peppers, bacon, corn, and dressing mixture. Repeat ending with the dressing mixture. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.