- 1 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh yellow corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening or bacon fat
- Honey or syrup (optional)
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Stir in eggs and milk just until flour mixture has all been moistened. Mixture should be lumpy. Fold in corn.
Melt 1 teaspoon shortening in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop corn batter by tablespoonfuls into skillet and fry until brown on both sides and centers feel firm when gently pressed, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to platter and keep warm.
Repeat until all batter has been used, adding shortening as needed. Serve with honey or syrup, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.