Our annual Thanksgiving centerpiece.
- 1 turkey (size varies)
- Cheese Cloth
- 1 pound butter (may need less depending on size of turkey)
1 day before cooking place in salt brine and refrigerate.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Rinse the turkey inside and out, then pat dry.
3. Cut cheesecloth to a length that will cover the turkey and unfold to a single thickness.
4. Melt 1 lb butter in a small saucepan. Place the cheesecloth in the pan and completley saturate.
5. Place the turkey breast side up on the rack in a shallow roasting pan.
6. Place pan in the oven and reduce the temp to 325 degrees. After 15 minutes drape butter soaked cheesecloth over the bird so it is completley covered. After an hour, baste the turkey every 15 minutes to keep the cheesecloth moist. Remove cheesecloth for the last 30 minutes of cooking time, for a crisp skin.
7. Allow the turkey to sit for at least 20 minutes before carving.
8-12 lbs: 2-3 hours
12-16 lbs: 3-4 hours
16-20 lbs: 4-5 hours
20-24 lbs: 5-6 hours
Add 1/2 hr for stuffed turkeys