- 8 slices bacon chopped fine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely-diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely-diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crumbled
- 2 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 24 cherrystone clams shucked, and the
- bottom shells reserved
- Coarse salt for filling the
- pan and platter
In a heavy skillet cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until it begins to brown but is not crisp, transfer it with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, and discard the fat from the skillet.
In the skillet, wiped clean, cook the onion and the garlic in the oil over moderately-low heat until they are softened, add the bell peppers and the oregano, and cook the mixture, stirring, until the bell peppers are crisp-tender.
Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and stir in the bacon, the vinegar, the Parmesan, and salt and black pepper to taste. The bell pepper mixture may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.
Arrange the clams in the reserved shells in a jelly-roll pan filled with some of the coarse salt (to balance the shells), divide the bell pepper mixture among them, and bake the clams in a preheated 400 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are just cooked through. Arrange the clams on a platter filled with more of the coarse salt.
This recipe yields 24 baked clams, 4 to 6 servings.