Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 refrigerated pie crust or homemade
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 recipes Mile-High Meringue
1. Roll out pastry into pie plate. Flute edges if desired. Use pie weights and bake at 450 for 5 minutes. Remove weights; bake 5 minutes longer. (DO NOT PRICK PIECRUST)
2. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
3. Gradually stir 2 tablespoons hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Pour into crust.
4. For meringue, prepare per directions. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.