- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar - (packed)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening or butter melted
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups pitted fresh or very well drained
- frozen or canned cherries
- Warm milk (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square-baking pan.
Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add milk, shortening, egg, and vanilla; stir just until combined. Fold in cherries and pour into greased pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed. Cool 15 minutes. Cut into 6 rectangles and serve warm from pan with warm milk to pour over it, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 servings.