Pan Seared Twelve-Spiced Beef Tenderloin With Risotto
- SPICE MIX:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly-ground white pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 tablespoon ground clove
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 6 steaks - (8 oz ea)
- 2 ounces oil
- === FOR THE RISOTTO ====
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1 1/2 cups minced onion
- 2 cups risotto
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh herbs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated smoked gouda
- 1 cup finely-chopped cooked sweet Italian
Mix the Spice Mix ingredients very well. Keep covered and refrigerated when not in use. (Makes 12 tablespoons; use 1 tablespoon per serving)
Season steaks with one tablespoon each of the spice mix. The longer the spice mix is on the meat, the deeper the flavors will penetrate.
Heat oil in a sauté pan. Sear steak for 2 minutes per side. Transfer the steak to a wire rack in a 325 degree oven and cook for 12 to 15 minutes (or to your desired doneness). Cooking time may vary with size and cut of meat.
Remove from oven and let steak sit in a warm area for about 5 minutes.
For the Risotto: In the butter, sauté the minced garlic, onions, and celery over medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
Add in 2 cups of risotto and reduce the heat to low. Add in chicken stock a little at a time stirring completely until liquid is almost complete absorbed. Continue to add the stock until the rice is of a soft consistency.
Turn off the heat and add the salt, pepper, herbs, gouda, and sausage. Incorporate well until the cheese is melted. (Makes 2 quarts)
This recipe yields 6 servings.