Wolfgang's Pumpkin Ravioli
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound fresh pumpkin, peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes (or pumpkin puree)
- 2 cups 2 heavy cream
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage, plus 6 small leaves for garnish
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 6 sheets, approx 6 x 12-inches, of fresh pasta (see fresh pasta recipe)
- 1 egg, beaten lightly, for egg wash
- 1/4 cup semolina or all purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 shallots, chopped
1) Heat a heavy skillet over low heat and add 4 tbsp of butter. When butter is foamy, add pumpkin and cook, stirring often, until it softens.
2) Transfer pumpkin to a medium saucepan, add half of heavy cream and half the herbs, cook over low heat for approximately 30 minutes, or until puree is thick and the liquid has evaporated. Stir occasionally. Crush any remaining lumps with a fork. Remove from heat and beat in an additional 2 tbsp butter.
*You may also use canned pumpkin puree, add heavy cream & herbs and cook to thicken - adding flour if needed.
3) Whisk in the beaten eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
4) Lay out 3 sheets of pasta. Using a pastry bag or teaspoon, place 8 equal mounds of pumpkin puree on each sheet dough, about 2 inches apart. Brush around each mound with eggwash. Cover mounded dough sheets with second of pasta and press around mounds to seal the dough. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out the ravioli. Dust a with flour and place the ravioli on it. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil while you make the sauce.
5) To prepare the sauce:
(1) In a medium saucepan, reduce the stock with shallots to 1/2 cup. Add remaining heavy cream and reduce by half. Over low heat, whisk in remaining 4 tbsp butter, a little at a time. Strain the sauce into a clean saucepan and add remaining sage and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
(2) Add ravioli to rapidly boiling water and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add ravioli to the sauce and bring just to a boil. Correct the seasonings.
(3) Divide the ravioli among preheated plates and spoon the sauce over them. Garnish with a fresh sage leaf. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- yellow squash and peppers 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Beef Ravioli 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Hummus 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta with Asparagus & Parmesan 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Homemade Macaroni & Cheese 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Caramelized Butternut Squash 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Butternut squash& roasted garlic... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bars 0/5 (0 Votes)