Baked Fish Fillets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening or butter
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 pint home-canned or 1 (15-oz) can tomatoes
- 1 pound cod fillets
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously grease a shallow 1-quart baking dish.
Melt shortening in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper; sauté until golden. Stir in flour, brown sugar, marjoram, salt, thyme, and pepper until smooth. Very gradually stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sauce has thickened.
Arrange fish in baking dish; top with sauce. Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
This recipe yields 4 servings.