Caramel Honeycrisp Apple Bars
Fall in bar form: a brown sugar cookie base topped with spiced apples, luscious caramel, and a crumble topping studded with toasted pecans.
- 3/4 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 cups Honeycrisp apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch cardamom
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 11 ounce bag caramel bits
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from dixiecrystals.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with foil; grease foil.
With an electric mixer, cream together brown sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in salt, baking soda, and spices. On low speed, mix in flour until combined. (The mixture will be crumbly.)
Reserve 3/4 cup of crust and stir in pecans. Squeeze mixture together into larger pieces. Set aside. Press remaining crust into pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss chopped apples with granulated sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom. In a small saucepan, melt caramel bits and evaporated milk over low heat, stirring until smooth.
Scatter apples over crust, then pour on caramel sauce. Sprinkle on reserved topping. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until caramel is bubbly. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Lift foil to remove from pan and peel back foil sides from bars. Use a bench scraper for easy cutting.
You'll also love
- Blackberry Mint Infused Water 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Copycat KFC Coleslaw 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Lemon-Ginger Fish 3.8/5 (24 Votes)
- Deep Dish Apple Pie Recipe 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Killer Potato Latkes 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Caramel, Chocolate and Candy Apples 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pie 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Vanilla Ice Cream 4.3/5 (18 Votes)