Tavern Turkey Stew With Fried Oysters
- 3 pounds boneless skinless turkey thighs cut 2" cubes
- 4 medium shallots chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 leek, white part only well rinsed, and cut into 2" strips for garnish
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 medium yellow onions diced
- 4 celery ribs diced
- 3 large carrots diced
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups demi-glace, homemade or storebought
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 medium zucchini halved lengthwise, and sliced
- 2 medium yellow squash halved lengthwise
- and sliced
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter - (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Herbed Spaetzle II (see recipe)
- Cornmeal Fried Oysters (see recipe)
In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey cubes, shallots, garlic, basil, parsley, thyme, and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally, at least 6 hours or overnight.
Pour 1/4 cup of the oil into a large saucepan. Heat the oil over high heat to 350 degrees. Add the leek and cook for 1 minute, until golden brown, being careful no to let the hot oil splatter. Using a slotted spoon, remove the leek from the oil and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Reserve.
Remove the turkey cubes from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Pat the turkey dry with paper towels and place in a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle the flour over the turkey cubes and toss to coat thoroughly.
In a large skillet, cook the turkey in 2 tablespoons of the oil over high heat for 5 minutes, until brown. Add the onions, celery, and carrots, and sauté for 5 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables are crisp tender.
Add the sherry to deglaze the pan, loosening any browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, until the liquid is reduced by 1/2, about 30 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the bay leaf. Reduce the heat and simmer, until liquid is reduced by 1/2. Add the demi-glace and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat.
In another large skillet, sauté the red cabbage, zucchini, and yellow squash in the butter and remaining oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Add the tomato and sauté for 2 minutes more, until the tomato is soft. Gently stir the vegetable mixture into the turkey mixture.
Serve the stew over Herbed Spaetzle or egg noodles. Garnish with Cornmeal Fried Oysters and the reserved fried leeks.
This recipe yields 10 servings.