Medley Of Vegetable And Chicken Soup
- 4 skinless chicken breast halves pounded
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium garlic clove crushed
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 large leek halved, and cut into 1" pieces)
- 1 large carrot julienned
- 3 medium red-skinned potatoes diced
- 1 can Italian tomatoes - (16 oz) drained, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 small green zucchini sliced thin
- 1 small yellow zucchini sliced thin, halved
- 1 can consommé - (16 oz)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans chicken broth - (16 oz ea)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns
- 6 fennel seed
- 2 medium garlic cloves crushed
Rub chicken breasts with piece of crushed garlic and sprinkle with thyme. Heat small amount of oil in large skillet. On high heat quickly sear both sides chicken breast. Transfer to plate and season with salt and pepper. Add consommé and scrape bits off bottom of skillet. Add chicken stock and water.
Tie peppercorns, garlic, bay leaf and fennel seed into cheesecloth. Add to stock. Add onions, leeks, carrots, tomatoes and potatoes to skillet and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 6 minutes.
Add chicken and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Add green and yellow zucchini, simmer 2 minutes. Remove cheese cloth bag and discard.
Remove chicken pieces, julienne and return to skillet. Add chopped parsley. Serve with freshly grated pannesan and crusty bread.
This recipe yields 4 servings.