Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 4 lbs corned beef brisket
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness draught (draught, not stout, or it will turn bitter; I could only find an 11.2 oz size)
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into wedges (I used two small)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 head cabbage, cut into wedges, rinsed and drained
- 6 medium white potatoes, peeled and quartered (I used red)
- 1-2 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces (I used baby carrots)
Rinse corned beef and pat dry – this is very important to get a good sear. Preheat a large pan over high heat and brown roast on all sides. Use a large stockpot if it’s wide enough for the roast to lie flat and sear well; I had to use a large skillet then transfer to the stockpot later. Don’t skip this step as it adds a lot of great flavor.
Put roast in large stockpot and pour Guinness into pot.
Add enough water to cover roast, then add the onion, garlic, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and pepper. I usually just eyeball spices in the palm of my hand, but because this recipe uses cloves and allspice – two very strong spices and I really don’t care for cloves – I got out my measuring spoons to make sure I didn’t add too much.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover pot. Simmer for three hours.
Add carrots, potatoes and cabbage, then simmer for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are tender. I added the carrots and potatoes, then ten minutes later added the cabbage as we like our cabbage with a slight crispness.
Remove meat, veggies and potatoes to a serving platter. Slice meat across the grain - it will be very tender – and enjoy with a nice cold bottle of Guinness!
You'll also love
- Panera Bread Pudding with Apples,... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Cream Cheese-&-Pesto-Stuffed... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp and Rice 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Sweet potato cobbler 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Zucchini Pancakes 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin Parmesean with... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Macaroni and Beef 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- III Forks Cream Corn 5/5 (2 Votes)