- 2 pounds fresh crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 scallions, including green tops minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme crumbled (or 1/2 tspn dried thyme)
- 1/2 pound slab bacon cut 1/4" dice
- 1 pound fresh spinach or callaloo greens cleaned with
- stems removed
- 1 pound okra topped, tailed, and cut into rounds
- 7 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Scotch Bonnet chile pricked with fork
- 3 limes juiced
Brown the crabmeat in the oil with the scallions, 1 teaspoon of the garlic, and the crumbled thyme.
In a stockpot, brown the diced bacon. Wilt the spinach in the rendered bacon fat. Add the okra, cover with the water, add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk.
Add the crabmeat, remaining garlic, and chile that has been pricked with a fork. Continue to cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done, add the lime juice, whisk it through thoroughly, and serve hot.
This recipe yields 4 servings.