Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 oz dried elbow macaroni, (2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 TB butter
- 2 TB flour
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups american cheese, shredded
1. Cook macaroni according to pkg directions. Drain and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan cook onion in hot butter until tender but not brown. Stir in flour and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in cooked macaroni. Transfer to a 2-QT casserole.
3. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 oven for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly and heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.