Key West Grits With Shrimp Cheese And Wilted Spinach
- 1 cup quick grits preferably yellow
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound medium pink shrimp (or equivalent)
- 1 scallion or 4 spring onions diced
- 5 medium mushrooms - (to 6) sliced thin
- 1 hot pepper diced
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves washed
- 1/4 pound cheddar cheese sliced thin
- Juice of one lime or key lime
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- Red pepper to taste
On medium heat, melt butter with saffron and garlic in a skillet. Peel and de-vein shrimp and cut laterally into halves. Place shrimp on a plate and cover with lime juice. Sautee 30 seconds per side, remove and set aside.
Place all other ingredients, except spinach,into skillet, stirring occasionally. While cooking, place spinach leaves on one damp paper towel and cover with another. Microwave on highest setting for 30 seconds.
While the other ingredients are sautéing, place butter and salt into water and milk and bring to a rolling boil in a large saucepan. Slowly stir in grits. After about 3 minutes on medium heat add shrimp to sautéed ingredients for at least a minute and then gently fold remaining sauté mixture into the grits.
Tear wilted spinach into inch-size pieces, discarding stems. Place cheese slices and spinach on top of grits, turn off heat, and cover for 3 or 4 minutes. Fold in now-melted cheese and spinach. If grits are too stiff, stir in a little milk. Serve hot. A crock-pot on low works well.
This recipe yields ?? servings.