Blue Cheese-Stuffed Chicken
Resist the urge to turn the chicken before it's time;
otherwise you risk having the breading stick to the pan
CALORIES 392 ; FAT 12.9g (sat 6.7g,mono 3.4g,poly 1g); CHOLESTEROL 175mg; CALCIUM
120mg; CARBOHYDRATE 18.5g; SODIUM 421mg; PROTEIN 47.4g; FIBER 1.1g; IRON 2.3mg
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped drained bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of
each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff cheese mixture evenly into pockets.
3. Place flour in a shallow dish. Combine milk and egg in a shallow dish, stirring well with a
whisk. Place panko in a shallow dish. Working with 1 chicken breast half at a time, dredge
chicken in flour, then dip in egg mixture; dredge in panko. Repeat procedure with remaining
chicken, flour, egg mixture, and panko.
4. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan; swirl
until butter melts. Arrange chicken in pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over;
place skillet in oven. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until done.
5. While chicken bakes, combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, bell peppers, water,
Worcestershire, and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; cook until
butter melts. Remove from heat, and stir in hot sauce. Serve sauce with chicken.