Pasta with Meat Sauce
- 1 pound pasta
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 celery stalk, quartered
- 1 small carrot, peeled, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground lean beef or bison
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Freshly grated Parmesan (for serving)
1.Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente; drain and transfer to a large bowl.
2.Meanwhile, process onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.
3.Heat oil in a large skillet over high. Add chopped vegetables, beef, and pork and cook, breaking up with a spatula, until meat is beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, oregano, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring constantly, until reduced by half, about 1 minute more. Stir in tomato sauce, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
4.Remove from heat, then stir in butter. Toss meat sauce with pasta, top with Parmesan,and serve
Let sauce cool, then chill in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.Pasta Sauce can be doubled