- 2 tablespoons salt butter
- 2 whole onions chopped
- 1/3 cup thinly-sliced green shallot tops
- 1 tablespoon finely-minced garlic
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp
- 1 pound lean ham cut 3/4" cubes
- 3 chicken breasts cut 3/4" squares
- 6 Andouille sausages sliced 1/2" thick (or Polish, French, or garlic smoked sausages)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 cans rich chicken stock
- 1 capful of Zatarain's Shrimp and Crab Boil (or Rex's)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 whole bay leaves crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
In a heavy 7- or 8-quart pot or kettle, melt the butter over low heat. Brown the onions, then the meats and continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes, or until everything is browned. Add the seasonings and continue cooking and stirring over low heat for 5 minutes more.
Add the rice and chicken stock and mix well, then raise the heat to high; bring to a boil. Cover the pot, turn the heat to very low, and cook 45 minutes, uncovering form time to time stirring.
Uncover the pot during the last 10 minutes of cooking and raise the heat to medium to allow the rice to dry out, stirring very frequently. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields ?? servings.