- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1.5 cups tomato sauce (use something without added flavor- like a can of Hunts tomato sauce or Ragu traditional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes.
Stir in wine, sugar, basil, red pepper, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, black pepper and tomato sauce and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer uncovered about 15 minutes.
Stir in parsley. Ladle over the hot cooked pasta of your choice.