Brown Rice with Black Beans and Cilantro
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 21/4 cups water
- 11/2 cups brown rice, long-grain
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
2. Add broth and water; cover and bring to boil. Remove pot from heat; stir in rice and salt. Cover and bake rice until tender, 65 to 70 minutes.
3. Remove pot from oven, uncover, fluff rice with fork, stir in beans, and replace lid; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and black pepper. Serve, passing lime wedges separately.