Baked Shrimp Scampi
- 2 * 2 pounds (12 to 15 per pound) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 * 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 * 3 Tablespoons dry white wine
- * kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 * 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 4 * 4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 1/4 * 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 3 * 3 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 * 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 * 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 * 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 * 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 * 1 large egg yolk
- 2/3 * 2/3 cup panko
- * lemon wedges, for serving
Butterfly the shrimp by cutting along the outer curve of each shrimp, and opening like a book. Do not cut all the way through, just deep enough to help them stand up.
Place the shrimp in a large mixing bowl and toss with the olive oil, white wine, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Set aside while you prepare the butter mixture.
In a small bowl, mash together the butter with the remaining ingredients, through the panko. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and mix to thoroughly combine.
Starting from the outside of a gratin dish or pie plate, arrange the shrimp in a single layer, cut side down, curling the tails toward the center of the dish. Pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp. Drop the butter mixture over the top by the spoonful, and bake 10-12 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked through. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown the top, and serve with lemon wedges.