Vegan Sausage Pastry Puffs
- 8 ounces sausage crumbled
- 1 package puff pastry (Pepperidge Farm brand is vegan), thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil for brushing the pastry
Note: Don’t forget to thaw your pastry before starting this recipe. I thaw it overnight in the fridge, but you can also thaw for 30 minutes on your countertop.
preheat a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the red bell pepper and onion in the oil for 7 to 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add garlic and spices and sauté another 3 minutes. Add sausage to the pan. Turn the heat up to medium high and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often.
In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and start preparing your puff pastries. Pour a little olive oil into a cup and brush a large baking sheet with olive oil. Cut each pastry sheet into 9 squares and set them on the baking sheet at least an inch apart. Brush the tops of the pastries with olive oil. When the sausage is ready, taste for salt and remove from heat. Top each pastry right in the middle with a heaping tablespoon of sausage.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the pastries are nice and puffed. Serve ASAP.